Gary M. Markoff is former managing partner of the firm and a member of the Corporate and Real Estate Departments. He works with clients primarily on business, corporate and real estate transactions and bank financings. He joined the firm in 1984 with a background in accounting, having previously been a certified public accountant with the Boston office of Arthur Andersen LLP, where he gained experience auditing small business clients and doing tax planning and compliance work.
Gary represents all types of lenders, borrowers and investors. Many of his clients have developed or financed varieties of real property including multi-family and commercial condominiums, retail centers, office complexes, manufacturing and warehouse facilities.
In addition, Gary has many years of experience representing companies in mergers and acquisitions and recapitalization, as well as advising on other corporate issues, including governance issues, stockholder and employment agreements, non-competition agreements, trade secrets and intellectual property rights.
- Lenders and borrowers in various forms of debt and equity financings including real estate projects and secured and unsecured commercial loans for private and publicly held companies
- Lenders in structuring and closing sophisticated commercial loans, many of which are participated out or syndicated with other lenders
- Investors in and developers of real estate, including acquisition and sale, permitting, financing and construction
- Should Lenders Care About The New Retainage Law? Banker and Tradesman, November 24, 2014
- "Work, Live, and Play Hard," Banker and Tradesman, September 8, 2013
- "Pitfalls of Tax-Deferred Exchanges in Real Estate," The Real Reporter, March 9, 2012
- "Commercial Lease Pitfalls Can Snare Local Lenders," Banker & Tradesman, February 27, 2012
- "Loan workouts," speaker, Babson College Real Estate Finance class, November 29, 2010
- "Why Banks Should Look at Equity Stakes in CRE," Banker & Tradesman, April 26, 2010
- "Careful with that mouse: ethical concerns of e-mail," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, with Suzanne D. Wann, May 4, 2009
- Massachusetts Bar Foundation Society of Fellows
- American Jewish Committee, Boston Chapter
- Board Member of the Boston Chapter
- Nominating and Governance Committee, chair person
- The Rachel Molly Markoff Foundation, co-founding trustee of this private foundation formed to assist families struggling with the treatment of children stricken with cancer
- Art in Giving LLC, co-manager of this foundation that sells fine art to fund childhood cancer research