Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
Oberlin College, B.A.
Certificate of Appreciation, awarded by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services
Listed as Massachusetts SuperLawyer
|Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court for the First Circuit
Margaret H. Paget
Margaret H. Paget is a partner in the Litigation Department of Sherin and Lodgen LLP and co-chair of the firm's Employment Law Group. She represents clients in all phases of civil litigation. Margaret has significant trial experience before both state and federal courts, administrative agencies and in arbitration.
Margaret represents private businesses, not-for-profit organizations, educational institutions and health care providers, with a focus on employment law and litigation. She has lectured and written extensively for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, the Massachusetts Law Review, the Boston Bar Journal and Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
Before joining Sherin and Lodgen LLP, Margaret served as Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Boston Law Department.
Prior to entering law school, she served in the United States Peace Corps, living and working on the island of Dominica, West Indies.
- Margaret has conducted numerous trials, hearings, and arbitrations in claims of discrimination, retaliation, employment contract disputes and employee-shareholder disputes.
- Counsels and represents employers on a range of employment matters, including personnel policy development and implementation, compliance issues, disciplinary matters, hiring and firing, the conduct of internal investigations of employee complaints, wage and hour issues, and drafting and negotiating employment contracts.
- Represents a number of independent and parochial educational institutions in the greater Boston area.
- Represents a Fortune 500 company that owns and operates long-term, acute-care nursing and rehabilitation facilities throughout the U.S.
- Outside counsel to a 20-physician medical practice
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Employment and Labor Law," MCLE Seminar, co-chair, November 7-8, 2012
- "Legal Issues Surrounding Executive Compensation for Colleges and Universities," AICUM Symposium, speaker, October 23, 2012
- "How to Avoid Drive-By ADA Lawsuits." The Griffin Report of Food Marketing, October 2012
- "U.S. D.O.J. Extends ADA Compliance Date For Pools And Spas," Sherin and Lodgen LLP Client Advisory, May 2012
- "Employment Misclassification," Lexwork Emloyment Group Conference, April 2012
- "Answering When the Government Comes Calling," Massachusetts Medical Law Report, December 2011
- "Employment Law in Massachusetts: What Out-of-Staters Need to Know," Sherin and Lodgen LLP Client Advisory, August 2011
- "Tips for Managing Transition to New Outside Counsel," New England In-House, June 2011
- "Superior Court Holds That Severance Pay Is Subject to the Massachusetts Wage Act," Sherin and Lodgen LLP Client Advisory, Feb 2011
- "New Legislation Requires Employers To Give Notice Of Negative Information Added To Personnel Record," Sherin and Lodgen LLP Client Advisory, Sept 2010
- "CORI Reform Signed Into Law," Sherin and Lodgen LLP Client Advisory, Aug 2010
- "DOL Issues Guidance On Recently-Enacted Federal Law Requiring Employers To Provide Nursing Breaks," Sherin and Lodgen LLP Client Advisory, July 2010
- "Personnel Manual Disclaimers - Not a Fool-Proof Defense," Sherin and Lodgen LLP Client Advisory, July 2009
- "Fair Labor Standards Act and State Wage and Hour Laws," speaker, Massachusetts Credit Union League, May 2009
- "When Employment Law Goes Criminal," chair, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2008
- "Brodie v. Jordan: No Thaw for Freeze-outs?," The Massachusetts Law Review, Spring 2007, (discussing SJC opinion on remedies for shareholder freeze-outs in close corporations)
- "When Lawyers Leave Law Firms," Boston Bar Journal, March/April 2006
- "Survival of 151B Claims Upon the Death of a Party," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, June 13, 2005
- "Exceptions to the At-Will Employment Doctrine and its Applicability to Employment of Minority Shareholders," The Massachusetts Law Review, 2003
- "Handling Depositions With Confidence," instructor, Massachusetts Bar Association, 2002
- "Employment Law and Criminal Conduct," Crime and Consequence: The Collateral Effects of Criminal Conduct, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education 2001, 2007
- "Employment Contracts After O'Brien: An Open Door For Failure-to-Promote Claims?," Suffolk Journal of Trial and Appellate Advocacy, vol. IV, 1999
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Section Council, 2010-present
- 33rd Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, co-chair, 2012
- The Commonwealth Institute
- Lexwork Americas
- Employment Law Group, Chair
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce,
- Workforce Development Committee, member