Caroline Woodward is a partner in the firm's Real Estate Department, where she specializes in representing both developers and tenants in the acquisition, disposition, development and leasing of retail centers. Caroline's practice has particular emphasis on retail leasing in shopping centers as well as the acquisition of land and assemblages for new shopping centers, including creation of ownership structures and operating, easement and restriction agreements for the operation of such centers. She represents tenants in the development and leasing of gasoline stations throughout New England and the Mid-Atlantic states.
Caroline has represented clients in both acquisition and disposition transactions of multi-location retail store chain portfolios, including the acquisition of a 500 store chain, and disposition of retailer's portfolios both as single buyer transactions and individual location sales, managing all legal aspects of such transactions. She has extensive experience in the transactional aspects of purchasing leases, acquiring lease designation rights and designating leases in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Outside real estate counsel to The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC (including Giant Food Supermarkets), which has over 500 locations throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic
- Several large-scale acquisitions and dispositions of retail store chains
- Purchasers of lease designation rights and leasehold assets from the bankrupt estates of national retail tenants, and handled the disposition of the designated assets
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Negotiating Retail Leases," panelist, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, May 2008
- Lectured at numerous seminars for the Real Estate Bar Association