We're known as lawyers' lawyers. In other words, we're the kind of lawyers to whom other lawyers turn when they need a lawyer.
Representing lawyers speaks to the reputation our firm has earned over the past quarter century in representing professionals against malpractice claims. In fact, several types of professionals regard Sherin and Lodgen as a go-to firm for malpractice claims, including:
- Legal Malpractice
- Bar Discipline
- Architects and Engineers
- Environmental Professionals
What follows is a closer look at each.
Legal malpractice is a highly specialized field. It involves the intersection of ethics and professional standards of practice, usually requiring expert witnesses. The involvement of an insurer only adds to the complexities.
Sherin and Lodgen has a practice group dedicated to legal malpractice defense, with the experience to handle the complexity of these cases. We have a well known and respected group of experienced trial attorneys.
The group has developed sought-after expertise in malpractice claims arising, for example, from lawyers' conduct in:
- Real estate transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property matters concerning patents, copyrights and trademarks
- Alleged conflicts of interest
Because legal malpractice involves lawyers, we work with some of the most demanding and sophisticated clients around, clients who demand sophisticated and dedicated representation. Sherin and Lodgen's Professional Malpractice Group has met these expectations for over 25 years, being the choice of over a hundred law firms of all sizes, ranging from large national, regional and local firms to small firms and solo practitioners.
The members of our group have clearly earned our clients' confidence. Our group includes:
- A present member of the American Bar Association's Lawyers' Professional Liability Committee, the nation's pre-eminent bar group dealing with legal malpractice issues
- Chair of the Boston Bar Association's Professional Liability Committee
- The former secretary of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners
- Two former and one current hearing officer of the Board of Bar Overseers, and
- A member of the Supreme Judicial Court's advisory committee on the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct
Our members have also written extensively on legal malpractice issues and are often invited to organize and participate in seminars and CLE courses on legal malpractice.
Bar Disciplinary Matters
For attorneys facing disciplinary actions before the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers, it is critical that they have experienced counsel. Sherin and Lodgen's clients depend on our attorneys' experience as advocates before the BBO.
We know the disciplinary process from the inside out. Our members have handled every step of the process:
- The initial letter-writing stage
- Informal discussions with Bar Counsel
- Hearings before the BBO, and
- Hearings before the single justice and the full bench of the Supreme Judicial Court
Our professional malpractice group includes two former hearing officers as well as a current BBO hearing officer. We bring our wide and deep experience as BBO hearing officers to bear for our clients.
From the Big Five to local practitioners, accountants rely on Sherin and Lodgen for malpractice representation. The firm has litigated malpractice actions relating to tax and other advice, as well as cases concerning a variety of other accounting-related services and conduct.
Architects and Engineers
Sherin and Lodgen regularly represents design professionals in malpractice actions, including architects and engineers.
Our extensive construction expertise--including an attorney trained in architecture--sets us apart. We quickly grasp design and construction problems and formulate successful defense strategies.
Our firm pioneered the growing specialty of environmental malpractice defense. We frequently represent Licensed Site Professionals (LSPs) and other professionals in the often sensitive environmental field.