Sherin and Lodgen counsels and represents lawyers and law firms on firm management, law firm disputes, ethics, professional liability, malpractice and bar discipline.
The representation of lawyers and law firms in a variety of matters is a highly specialized field involving the intersection of ethics, professional standards of practice and malpractice. The involvement of an insurer only adds to the complexities. We have represented some of the most demanding and sophisticated lawyers and law firms in the country. Sherin and Lodgen’s Professional Liability Group has exceeded the expectations of its lawyer and law firm clients for over 25 years.
The members of our group have earned our clients’ confidence. Our group includes:
- A former member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers (“BBO”)
- A former member of the American Bar Association’s Lawyers’ Professional Liability Committee, the nation’s pre-eminent bar group dealing with legal malpractice issues
- A former president of the Massachusetts Bar Association
- A former vice-chair of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Committee on Professional Ethics
- The current and a former Chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Professional Liability Committee
- A current member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners
- Three former hearing officers of the BBO, and
- A member of the Supreme Judicial Court’s advisory committee on the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct
- An adjunct professor of law teaching Professional Responsibility at two Boston law schools.
Our members have also written extensively on legal malpractice issues and are often invited to organize and participate in seminars and CLE courses on legal malpractice.Some recent articles and blog posts on legal malpractice issues include:
- "General Motors' cautionary tale for corporate counsel" Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, June 19, 2014
- “Protecting the In–House Counsel Privilege: Ethical and Practical Considerations,” moderator, ABA National Legal Malpractice Conference, May 2014
- "Measures to take following 'RFF Family Partnership'" Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, July 18, 2013
- "Foreign lawyers in Massachusetts: rules and regs," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, February 4, 2013
- "The Lifecycle of Attorneys' Fees Disputes: From Managing Client Expectations to Collections," speaker, Boston Bar Association, November 7, 2012
- "Where Can A Lawyer Safely Turn For Advice About a Client? The Attorney Client Privilege for Law Firm General Counsel," with Robert J. Muldoon, panelist, Boston Bar Association, October 4, 2012
Bar Disciplinary Matters
For attorneys facing disciplinary actions before the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers (BBO), it is critical that they have experienced counsel. Sherin and Lodgen’s clients depend on our attorneys’ experience as advocates before the BBO.
We know the disciplinary process from the inside out. Our members have handled every step of the process:
- The initial letter-writing stage
- Informal discussions with Bar Counsel
- Hearings before the BBO, and
- Hearings before the single justice and the full bench of the Supreme Judicial Court
Our professional malpractice group includes three former BBO hearing officers. Hearing officers conduct bar discipline hearings where the parties present their evidence and make their arguments. The hearing officers make the findings of fact and disciplinary recommendations that form the basis for the rest of the disciplinary proceedings. We understand the emotional and professional issues facing lawyers dealing with the BBO process and are counsel of choice for BBO representatives.
Practice Area Co-Chairs
Christopher R. Blazejewski
Edward S. Cheng
Anthony L. DeProspo, Jr.
William M. Dunham
Jessica G. Kelly
Margaret C. Kelty
Thomas W. Kirchofer
Thomas F. Maffei
Matthew C. Moschella
Robert J. Muldoon, Jr.