Energy, Utilities and Natural Resources
Energy generation, distribution and use are basic to our economy. Clients in various utility and energy fields look to Sherin and Lodgen for specialized advice related to gas, electric, water, petroleum, renewable energy, and telecommunications.
- Electrical generators
- Independent power producers
- Petroleum supply and distribution companies
- Public agencies
- Solar energy lenders, investors and developers
We represent these clients in a broad range of matters including:
- Assessment of carbon footprint for operations
- Control and development of facilities
- Due diligence
- Financing and financing alternatives (including New Market Tax Credits, Investment Tax Credits, and other tax incentives)
- License agreements
- Power Purchase Agreements
- Supply contracts
Many of our lawyers are trained in LEED analysis, and four of our lawyers are LEED Accredited Professionals. We are frequently invited to speak during industry educational programs.
Our Solar Energy Practice Group
In particular, Sherin and Lodgen has specific expertise in the field of solar energy. Our solar energy practice group brings together attorneys experienced in representing land owners, energy companies, lenders, and other stakeholders in connection with the development and financing of these types of sustainable projects. These attorneys have been involved in negotiating ground leases, rooftop leases, and license agreements for the installation of wind turbines and photovoltaic arrays, financing the installation of photovoltaic arrays, and counseling clients as to available governmental and private funds to assist in financing these projects. Learn more about our solar energy practice group.
- Large petroleum distribution company in connection with environmental issues arising from acquisition of a portfolio of 65 gasoline station properties
- Fuel oil distribution company in connection with wholesale supply agreement
- Lender in bridge, construction to term, and permanent financing of both operating and to be constructed Solar PV Installations. Also as lender and tax equity investor in a twinned Solar Investment and New Market Tax Credit Transactions
- Large regional electrical generating company in connection with acquisition, development and management of key locations for generation and transmission of power