Daniel C. Johnston
Daniel C. Johnston is a commercial real estate attorney who provides clients with practical insights into development, permitting, leasing, acquisitions, and dispositions.
Drawing on his work at the Boston Planning and Development Agency (BPDA) and City of Pittsburgh Department of City Planning, Dan is particularly knowledgeable about development and permitting matters, including moving projects through the BPDA’s Article 80 review process.
Prior to joining Sherin and Lodgen, Dan was an associate at Mintz Levin. In addition to his background in real estate, Dan has extensive experience working in high-stress environments. As an intern with both U.S. Representative Raul Ruiz (D-CA-36) and U.S. Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr. (D-PA), he served as a point-of-contact for constituent services ranging from everyday concerns over proposed legislation to how various postal unions would be affected in budget negotiations. As a regional field organizer on President Barack Obama’s 2012-reelection campaign, Dan worked with, talked to, and helped organize everyday voters. As the acting special assistant to the associate director for land and water ecosystems at the White House Council on Environmental Quality, he managed the daily operations of the team while assisting the associate director with administrative matters and policy research.
Committed to pro bono, Dan is involved with the Volunteer Lawyers Project, which provides legal representation to low-income tenants facing eviction, and Project Citizenship, which helps lawful permanent residents become naturalized citizens.
- Drafted amicus brief on behalf of NAIOP Massachusetts, Real Estate Bar Association, and the Abstract Club, in landmark SJC decision in Sudbury v. MBTA, holding that the prior public use doctrine is inapplicable when land owned by a public entity is conveyed to a private entity for a different use
- Listed a Massachusetts Super Lawyers “Rising Star”
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “How to Draft & Negotiate a Commercial Sublease,” speaker, MCLE, March 23, 2021
- “Tips and Tricks for Negotiating Pet-Friendly Leases Part II: The Americans with Disabilities Act,” author, Boston Real Estate Times, November 5, 2019
- “Dogs in Space: Negotiating Pet-Friendly Rules at Work,” author, The Real Reporter, June 7, 2019
Related Blog Posts
- Boston Bar Association