Joseph Y. Wang
Joseph Y. Wang is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Department and member of its Hospitality Practice Group.
He has experience in a variety of real estate matters, including land use, zoning and development, and representing landlords and tenants in office, retail, and research and development leasing matters large and small.
Joseph has been engaged in several large development projects in Boston, where he has negotiated with local and state agencies and private parties to bring brand name hotels and residential stock to the city.
He has participated in the negotiation and administration of complex agreements for multiphase development projects involving state and local tax incentives, sale-leaseback transactions, and multilayered contingencies and financial clawbacks, and has worked to resolve issues related to zoning, governmental confidentiality requirements, incentives applications, and site selection criteria. His experience also includes acquisition and disposition, finance, and foreclosure transactions.
Prior to joining Sherin, Joseph was an attorney at Mintz and Seyfarth Shaw, both in Boston. Earlier, he was a law fellow at Prudential Financial, Inc. in New Jersey as part of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association fellowship program. While in law school, Joseph served as an articles editor of the Michigan Journal of International Law and was an extern for the Hon. Robert Eastaugh of the Alaska Supreme Court. He is a frequent speaker at the Boston Bar Association on issues of professionalism and professional responsibility, where he uses many of the same skills he developed as a middle school Latin teacher.
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “From Letter of Intent to Closing Checklist – A Deal Document Inventory,” speaker, Boston Bar Association, January 2020
- “Speed Networking with Real Estate Lawyers,” guest practitioner, Boston Bar Association, November 2019
- Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Promotion and Retention Committee, co-chair, 2016 – present
- Diversity and Inclusion Section
- Chinese Historical Society of New England
- Board Member
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Real Estate Committee, co-chair, 2015 – present
- Tanglewood Festival Chorus