Joseph Y. Wang
Joseph Y. Wang advises hotel and restaurant clients in complex real estate and corporate transactions and contract negotiations.
A partner in the firm’s Real Estate Department and a member of its Hospitality Practice Group, Joseph represents owners, entrepreneurs, operators, developers, and investors in Greater Boston and beyond. He has experience advising on many aspects of the hospitality industry, including acquisition, disposition, joint venture, leasing, permitting and zoning, construction, and financing projects, hotel management agreements (HMAs), and food and beverage agreements.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Joseph has helped clients navigate the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and CARES Act and is a frequent contributor to the firm’s Hospitality Blog on these programs’ changes impacting the industry.
In 2020, Joseph was recognized as an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly. An active member of the bar, he currently serves as Real Estate Committee Chair of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA), is an active member of the Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts (AALAM), and serves as Fundamentals Committee co-chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Real Estate section.
Before joining Sherin, Joseph was an attorney at Mintz and Seyfarth Shaw, both in Boston. Earlier, he was a law fellow at Prudential Financial, Inc. in New Jersey as part of the NAPABA fellowship program. Joseph performs regularly with the Boston Symphony Orchestra as a member of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus.
- Recognized as a 2020 “Excellence in the Law: Up & Coming Lawyer,” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “Unsatisfied PPP Loans may pose challenges to hotel transactions,” co-author, National Real Estate Journal (NEREJ), March 23, 2021
- “Challenges Facing Retail, Hospitality Sectors, and Their Landlords,” speaker, Boston Bar Association, November 13, 2020
- “Paycheck Protection Program Forgiveness,” author, Lodging Magazine, October 30, 2020
- “Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act – Needed changes to CARES Act,” co-author, New England Real Estate Journal (NEREJ), June 19, 2020
- “What Hotel Owners and Operators Need to Know About the CARES Act,” co-author, LODGING Magazine, April 6, 2020
- “From Letter of Intent to Closing Checklist – A Deal Document Inventory,” speaker, Boston Bar Association, January 2020
- “Speed Networking with Real Estate Lawyers,” guest practitioner, Boston Bar Association, November 2019
Related Blog Posts
- The Second Round of COVID-19 Stimulus: What Hospitality Clients Need To Know, January 5, 2021
- Massachusetts Restricts Business and Venue Capacities Effective December 26, 2020, December 23, 2020
- Governor Charlie Baker Orders Early Business Closures to Combat COVID-19 Spread, November 3, 2020
- Paycheck Protection Program Forgiveness – New Simplified Application for Loans of $50,000 or Less, October 20, 2020
- Deadline to Apply for the Paycheck Protection Program Extended, July 6, 2020
- Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act – Needed Changes to CARES Act, June 22, 2020
- Main Street Lending Program – Major Changes and Proposed Program for Nonprofit Borrowers, June 17, 2020
- Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Former co-chair of the Promotion and Retention Committee
- Diversity and Inclusion Section
- Fundamentals Committee co-chair of the Real Estate Section
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Real Estate Committee, co-chair, 2015 – present
- Chinese Historical Society of New England
- Board Member
- Tanglewood Festival Chorus