Floater Legal Assistant
This position provides legal assistant support and special project assistance to attorneys and senior paralegals in the firm’s Real Estate, Litigation, Business Law, and Employment departments. This position provides exposure to a variety of practice areas and insight into law firm operations and legal documents, including commercial leases, transactional closing documents, various business agreements, and litigation pleadings.
The ideal candidate is a college graduate with one to two years of experience in a professional office (relevant internships included). Applicants must have excellent communication skills, be very organized and detail oriented, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office.
This is a great opportunity for those looking to pursue a career in law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, edit, and finalize all routine correspondence; attorneys may draft text and send via email to legal assistant for finalizing
- Create a contact list and update it for every case
- For Litigation: Assist in drafting and finalizing routine pleadings: notices of appearance, notices of deposition, subpoena, Rule 9A notice of filing and list of documents, and corporate disclosure statements.
- For Litigation: Format briefs/pleadings and create an automated table of contents.
- For Real Estate: Format loan documents and create an automated table of contents, if needed.
- For Real Estate: Work with paralegal to prepare and create cd closing binders.
- For Employment: Intake of potential new clients and scheduling of consultations, assist in drafting/formatting of basic documents, and document conversion.
- Compare documents using Workshare
- Converting documents from PDF to Word and reformat
- Edit and proof all written work product
- Create all conflict checks, opening sheets, and engagement letters
- Copying and scanning
- Preparing reimbursement requests and check requests
- Maintain a running chronology of all outgoing correspondence
- Keep the original case file (unless originating attorney prefers to keep it)
- Keep files organized and current, create Redwelds, binders, etc.
- Responsible for central files, dead storage, and opening and closing cases
- Register attorneys for events, webinars, etc.
- Keep calendar deadlines such as case, marketing, and firm deadlines (assistants will need access to attorney’s Outlook calendar)
- Legal Assistants may need to assist with Time Entry on an as-needed basis.
- Answer phone and take messages when attorney is not available. An assigned assistant should always be available to answer phones during regular business hours.
- Reserve conference rooms and arrange set-ups for all meetings
- Arrange all travel and create itineraries
- General internet research such as for addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Register attorneys for annual bar renewals and other memberships
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); undergraduate degree is beneficial
- Minimum three years of experience in a professional services environment
- Knowledge of filing in federal and state courts
Skill Set and Abilities
- Reading and Writing: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, complex documents, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write complex correspondence and to effectively present information in various situations.
- Strong knowledge of computer operation, spreadsheet software, and word processing software required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills: Demonstrate effective teamwork, communication, and prioritizes and anticipates work needs. Must be able to work well under occasional periods of pressure and short deadlines.
To Apply Submit Your Resumé
Jiayi FangHuman Resources Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
At Sherin and Lodgen, we are committed to fostering a workplace community that celebrates the diverse perspectives, knowledge, and experiences of our attorneys and professionals. We are proud of the workforce we have created and are dedicated to increasing our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across all levels of the firm. Please visit the DE&I page to learn more about our initiatives.