The Legal Assistant performs a variety of administrative support duties and delivers high-quality services to Attorneys and Paralegals. This position requires thorough knowledge of all firm and practice specific administrative processes and procedures. Knowledge surrounding Information Technology systems, research tools, and a broad-based understanding of clients, matters and associated practices is also expected.
This position will primarily support the Litigation Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, edit, and finalize all routine correspondence.
- Create a contact list and update it for every case.
- Assist in drafting and finalizing routine pleadings: notices of appearance, notices of deposition, subpoena, Rule 9A notice of filing and list of documents, and corporate disclosure statements.
- Format briefs/pleadings and create automated table of contents.
- Arrange deposition stenographers.
- Convert documents from PDF to Word and reformat.
- Edit and proof all written work product.
- Distribute and manage conflict checks, opening sheets, and engagement letters.
- Prepare reimbursement requests and check requests.
- Assist with attorney time entry.
- Coordinate with accounting as needed on attorney billing.
- Register attorneys for events, webinars, etc.
- Keep calendar deadlines such as case, marketing, and firm deadlines.
- Work closely with Paralegal and other Legal Assistants.
- Maintain a running chronology of all outgoing correspondence.
- Keep electronic files organized and current.
- Ensure all team members receive copies of incoming/outgoing pleadings and correspondence.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); undergraduate degree is beneficial.
- Two-three years of experience in a professional services environment.
- Knowledge of filing in federal and state courts.
Skill Set and Abilities
- Reading and Writing: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, complex documents, correspondence and memos. Ability to write complex correspondence and to effectively present information in various situations.
- Strong knowledge of computer operation, spreadsheet software and word processing software required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills: Demonstrates effective teamwork, communication and prioritizes and anticipates work needs. Must be able to work well under occasional periods of pressure and short deadlines.
To Apply Submit Your Resumé
Jiayi FangHuman Resources Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
At Sherin and Lodgen, we are committed to fostering a workplace community that celebrates the diverse perspectives, knowledge, and experiences of our attorneys and professionals. We are proud of the workforce we have created and are dedicated to increasing our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across all levels of the firm. Please visit the DE&I page to learn more about our initiatives.