Peter Friedenberg is chair of the firm’s Real Estate Department. He maintains a broad transactional real estate practice involving acquisition, development, ground leasing, land use permitting, financing, leasing, and disposition of properties, as well as facilities operation and management matters. His clients include public agencies and authorities, developers, lenders, educational institutions, nonprofit entities, and operating companies. Peter became a LEED Accredited Professional in September 2008.
Peter has extensive experience in the acquisition, development, leasing, disposition, and operation of office, research and development, laboratory, institutional, and commercial properties. He has served as real estate counsel for a number of years to a Fortune 500 company in connection with its national real estate facilities program, including the disposition of more than 7 million sq. ft. of buildings and 5,000 acres of land. He has also represented numerous public agencies and authorities in connection with a variety of mixed-use private development projects on public land.
Peter has substantial experience in the operation and management of campus facilities for both nonprofit institutions and public companies, including the negotiation of facilities maintenance agreements, logistics agreements, property management agreements, and other outsourcing contracts.
In 2010, Peter was invited to join The American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL). Peter has been selected by his peers annually for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2011, and most recently was named a Leader in the Field of Real Estate Law in Boston by Chambers and Partners USA.
- High technology company in the nationwide programmed disposition of real estate assets, including more than 2.5 million sq. ft. of buildings and 800 acres of undeveloped land in Houston, TX
- Public agency in negotiating Development Agreements and long-term Ground Leases for numerous downtown Boston mixed-use hotel/residential/commercial developments, including mixed use, multiple-tier condominiums
- Public authority in negotiating Development Agreement and long-term Ground Leases of Boston waterfront land for a $50 million, 4-phase maritime industrial development
- Leading Boston cultural institution in negotiating all design, pre-construction services, construction, consultants’, and related contracts in connection with $500 million expansion and renovation project
- Public utility company in the long-term restructuring of 850,000 sq. ft. headquarters lease in a downtown office complex
- Public utility company in negotiating a master property management agreement for 2.9 million sq. ft. of service facilities (120 separate facilities) in the five New England states
- Leading educational institution in leasing lab space in a new 400,000 sq. ft. research building to affiliated hospitals
- International chemical company in the long-term ground lease of an EPA Superfund site for redevelopment into a mixed-use office/retail development
- Boston medical school in negotiating various long-term Facilities Maintenance Management Services Agreements for its entire campus (more than 2 million sq. ft.)
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- “Key Issues in Ground Leases,” panelist, American Association of Port Authorities: Port Administration and Legal Issues Seminar, April 9, 2013
- "SJC Decision Roils Commercial Lease Landscape," The Real Reporter, July 2011
- "Key Provisions of a Green Lease," NAIOP Green Development News, April 2009
- "Green leases progressing from an aspirational goal to the industry standard," New England Real Estate Journal, "Construction, Design & Engineering" supplement, December 19, 2008
- Public and Private Development of Public Land, chairman and contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2008
- Drafting Commercial Real Estate Documents in Massachusetts, contributing author and seminar speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2004-2008
- Lease Drafting in Massachusetts, contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2005
- Commercial Real Estate Basics, co-chairman and chapter author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2000-2004
- Drafting and Enforcing Massachusetts Contracts, contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2002
- Massachusetts Mortgages, Foreclosures and Workouts, contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 1997