Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude
University of Rochester, B.A., cum laude
|Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts (1980)
U.S. Supreme Court (2001)
Peter Friedenberg is chair of the firm’s Real Estate Department. He maintains a broad transactional real estate practice, including facilities operation and management matters. His clients include developers, lenders, educational institutions, nonprofit entities, public agencies, and operating companies. Peter became a LEED Accredited Professional in September 2008.
Peter has extensive experience in the acquisition, development, financing, leasing, disposition, and operation of office, research and development, laboratory, institutional, and commercial properties. He has served as real estate counsel for many years to a Fortune 500 company in connection with its national real estate facilities program, including the disposition of more than 7 million sq. ft. of buildings and 5,000 acres of land.
Peter has substantial experience in the operation and management of campus facilities for both nonprofit institutions and public companies, including the negotiation of facilities maintenance agreements, logistics agreements, property management agreements, and other outsourcing contracts.
In 2010, Peter was invited to join The American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) and was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2011. In 2006, Peter was elected a member of The Abstract Club, an organization comprising the top 100 real estate attorneys in Massachusetts.
- High technology company in the nationwide programmed disposition of real estate assets, including more than 2.5 million sq. ft. of buildings and 800 acres of undeveloped land
- Public agency in the negotiation of a Development Agreement and long-term Ground Leases of Boston waterfront land for a $50 million, 4-phase maritime industrial development
- Leading Boston cultural institution in negotiation of all design, pre-construction services, construction, consultants, and related contracts in connection with $500 million expansion and renovation project
- Public utility company in the long-term restructuring of 850,000 sq. ft. headquarters lease in a downtown office complex
- Public utility company in negotiating a master property management agreement for 2.9 million sq. ft. of service facilities (120 separate facilities) in the five New England states
- Leading educational institution in leasing lab space in a new 400,000 sq. ft. research building to affiliated hospitals
- International chemical company in the long-term ground lease of an EPA Superfund site for redevelopment into a mixed-use office/retail development
- Boston medical school in negotiating a long-term Facilities Maintenance Management Services Agreement for its entire campus (more than 2 million sq. ft.)
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "SJC Decision Roils Commercial Lease Landscape," The Real Reporter, July 2011
- "Key Provisions of a Green Lease," NAIOP Green Development News, April 2009
- "Green leases progressing from an aspirational goal to the industry standard," New England Real Estate Journal, "Construction, Design & Engineering" supplement, December 19, 2008
- Public and Private Development of Public Land, chairman and contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2008
- Drafting Commercial Real Estate Documents in Massachusetts, contributing author and seminar speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2004-2008
- Lease Drafting in Massachusetts, contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2005
- Commercial Real Estate Basics, co-chairman and chapter author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2000-2004
- Drafting and Enforcing Massachusetts Contracts, contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2002
- Massachusetts Mortgages, Foreclosures and Workouts, contributing author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 1997
- Member, Advisory Committee, New England Legal Foundation
- Needham Zoning Board of Appeals, member
- Needham Planning Board Downtown Study Committee
- Needham Town Meeting Member for nearly 20 years