Sherin and Lodgen counsels and advises lawyers and law firms on firm management, law firm disputes, ethics, professional liability, malpractice and bar discipline.
The representation of lawyers and law firms is a highly specialized field involving the intersection of ethics, professional standards of practice and malpractice. The involvement of an insurer only adds to the complexities. We have represented some of the most demanding and sophisticated lawyers and law firms in the country.
The members of our group have earned our clients’ confidence. Our group includes:
- A former member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers (“BBO”)
- A former member of the American Bar Association’s Lawyers’ Professional Liability Committee, the nation’s pre-eminent bar group dealing with legal malpractice issues
- A former president of the Massachusetts Bar Association
- A former vice-chair of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Committee on Professional Ethics
- Two former Chairs of the Boston Bar Association’s Professional Liability Committee
- A current member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners
- Three former hearing officers of the BBO
- A member of the Supreme Judicial Court’s advisory committee on the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct, and
- An adjunct professor of law teaching Professional Responsibility at a Boston law school.
Our legal services industry team represents lawyers and law firms in a range of matters including:
- Legal malpractice defense
- Ethics and professional responsibility
- Law firm management
- Risk management
- Bar discipline (including matters before the Massachusetts Board of Bar Oversees (BBO))
- Successfully defended AmLaw 100 law firm in an action brought by its former client. After a four week jury trial in the malpractice action, the jury returned a verdict for the law firm on all counts of the Complaint.
- Successfully defended a regional law firm by obtaining an immediate dismissal of a claim brought by a former client. On a motion under Rule 12(b)(6), the Court dismissed the lawsuit at the outset based its ruling that the former client failed to state a claim against the firm or its individual attorneys.
- Represent lawyers before the BBO in every step of the disciplinary process including the initial letter-writing stage, informal discussions to bar counsel, hearings before the BBO and hearings before the single justice and the full bench of the Supreme Judicial Court (SJC).