For over 65 years, Sherin and Lodgen attorneys have provided legal advice and counsel to major players in the real estate industry throughout the country. We provide clients with years of industry insights across practices including acquisitions and dispositions, development, financing, leasing, construction and design, environmental, permitting and zoning, business law, employment, and litigation. Our team is large enough to provide breadth and depth of service to our real estate industry clients, yet small enough to be efficient and responsive.
The firm’s real estate department is ranked by Chambers USA and nationally by U.S. News and World Reports “Best Law Firms.” In addition, many of our attorneys are ranked individually by Chamber USA, The Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers. Two are members of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers and seven are members of the Abstract Club, an invitation only organization limited to 100 real estate lawyers in Massachusetts.
We have the capacity to perform any real estate services. We are known for:
- Acquisitions/Dispositions – We represent clients on a national basis in connection with the acquisition and disposition of developed properties of all types, as well as undeveloped land. Several of these clients are Fortune 500 companies in the high technology, medical device, and telecommunications industries whose space needs change on a regular basis. These properties range from a single building or parcel of vacant land to corporate campuses containing more than two million square feet.
- Commercial Finance – National and local banks and borrowers rely on our commercial finance group, led by Jack Anetakis, to close sophisticated construction and term real estate loans, commercial loans, CMBS loans, mezzanine loans, and multi-state portfolio loans. We have a particular expertise in New Markets and Historic Tax Credits.
- Development, Land Use, and Permitting – We represent developers on all types of real estate projects, from office parks to hotels to retail centers. These projects enable us to draw on our broad experience in real estate law and transactions, including land use permitting, environmental, acquisition, site assembly, financing, contract negotiation, leasing, and survey and title review. Many involve a ground lease of the development site, which brings to bear our experience in ground lease negotiations and ground lease financing as well.
- Leasing – We represent developers, landlords, property managers, commercial entities, and retail tenants in negotiating and drafting leases including ground leases, pad leases, office, retail, laboratory, research and development, and renewable energy leases. Our partner, Edward M. Bloom is the general editor of “Lease Drafting in Massachusetts” and several of our attorneys, including partners Gary D. Buchman, Robert M. Carney, Matthew S. Cote, Peter Friedenberg, Beth A. Goldstein, andJennifer L. Ioli, have authored chapters in the publication, highlighting the firm’s presence as a true thought leader in commercial real estate leasing.
- Real Estate Disputes/Litigation -We are able to assist clients when litigation needs arise. Sander Rikleen leads the firm’s Real Estate Litigation practice. The group is widely regarded for land use and zoning disputes and has been involved in numerous Land Court and Superior Court actions involving zoning, trespass, rights of first refusal, easements, and title matters.
- Renewable Energy (solar, wind, hydro and storage) – Led by partner Beth A. Goldstein, we are the “go-to” firm for renewable energy and represent banks, developers, investors, and land owners in these projects, including assisting with federal, state, and local solar incentive programs, construction and permanent financing, and solar leasing.
Our clients include:
- Property managers
- Public and quasi-public agencies