Steven D. Eimert
Steven D. Eimert is Of Counsel in the firm's Business Law Department, having formerly been a partner for more than twenty years.
His practice focuses on the organization, financing and on-going representation of private companies in a variety of industries, including all variations of commercial real estate private capital-raising, such as joint ventures and private syndications for hospitality, office, retail and mixed-use developments.
Steve has special expertise in the federal and state regulation of credit unions, a specialized form of insured depository financial institution, for which he provides executive compensation-related services on a national basis. Steve is experienced in the full range of legal services required by closely-held businesses, including organization, capital-raising, governance, executive compensation, joint ventures and other forms of strategic partnerships, mergers and acquisitions and planning for intergenerational ownership and management transitions.
He has represented issuers in raising over $1 billion in equity capital over the course of his career. Steve serves as trustee of several private family trusts and is a member of the board of directors of Expal USA, Inc., a US defense subsidiary of Rheinmetall AG, a major international defense services and systems manufacturer based in Dusseldorf, Germany. He also serves on the Advisory Board of OM Financial Group, LLC, a longstanding client headquartered in Boston, for which he serves as external general counsel. He has, for nearly two decades, been recognized by Boston Magazine as a “Super Lawyer,” reflecting his peer-rating as being among the top 5% of all business/corporate lawyers in both Massachusetts and New England.
Steve is a co-founder, principal, Executive Vice President, and General Counsel of CU Real Estate Solutions, LLC, a Boston-based company that arranges and invests in sale-leasebacks for credit unions and banks on a nationwide basis. He has written and spoken extensively on the use of sale-leasebacks as part of the strategic management of the balance sheets of depository financial institutions.
- Business clients, including insurance/financial services, timberland investment and management, real estate, and technology
- Numerous credit unions in an array of matters, including internal governance, specialized finance/capital-raising, CUSO-based ancillary business lines and regulatory affairs
- Advises clients on executive compensation strategies (including insurance-funded SERPS and 457(f) deferred compensation plans), shareholder disputes and workplace issues, and the creation and operation of nonprofit foundations
- Included for more than ten years in Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Named to Boston magazine’s Top Lawyers list (2021, 2022, 2023)
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “What You Need to Know about Raising Capital with Sale Leaseback Deals,” speaker, The CU2.0 Podcast, March 8, 2023
- “Sharing the Benefits of Credit Union Sale-Leasebacks,” co-author, Credit Union Times, January 17, 2023
- “Split-dollar executive compensation plans: Doing it right,” author, BenefitsPRO, June 9, 2021
- “The Earnings Squeeze: Can Overlooked Real Estate Assets Balance ROA, Capital & Deposits?” co-author, Credit Union Times, April 19, 2021
- “It’s Time for the NCUA to Update its Sale-Leaseback Guidance,” author, Credit Union Times, April 7, 2021
- “Optimizing Your Credit Union Branch Network,” co-author, Credit Union Times, March 15, 2021
- “And When It’s Over – A Strategy to Boost Credit Union Earnings and Capital,” co-author, Cooperative Credit Union Association’s (CCUA) Member News , April 6, 2020
Related Blog Posts
- Serves as a trustee of certain charitable foundations