Leading hotel and restaurant owners, operators, lenders, and investors turn to Sherin and Lodgen LLP’s Hospitality Practice Group for its unparalleled experience, pragmatism, and efficiency.
Since representing the hospitality industry spans so many different practice areas, the firm’s Hospitality Practice Group utilizes lawyers from the firm’s Real Estate, Business, Litigation, and Employment Departments. However, the core members of the Hospitality Practice Group dedicate the majority of their practices to representing clients in the hospitality industry. This presents a truly unique value opportunity for clients: an extraordinarily high level of service, delivered at the cost of a mid-size law firm.
Joshua M. Bowman, the Leader of the Hospitality Practice Group, is recognized nationally as a thought leader in the hospitality industry. Josh teaches “Hospitality Law” and “The Fundamentals of Hotel Real Estate Deal” at the Boston University School of Hospitality, and is an active member of the Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys, which is an organization for seasoned attorneys who dedicate the majority of their practices to the hospitality industry. Josh is also a member of the New England Real Estate Journal’s Hotel Industry Advisory Board, and frequently attends industry conferences such as the NYU Hospitality Conference, the Lodging Conference, and the Georgetown University Hotel and Lodging Legal Summit. These events allow the Hospitality Practice Group to stay at the forefront of current industry trends and establish excellent relationships in the industry to the benefit of our clients.
Our Hospitality Practice Group represents hospitality clients on a broad range of projects. Our capabilities include:
- Group booking agreements, including agreements for COVID-19 Sanctuary Hotels
- PPP and CARES Act Compliance
- Hotel and restaurant management agreements with branded and independent managers
- Franchise agreements
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Leasing, including ground leasing
- Licensing and permitting (including liquor licenses)
- Food and beverage agreements
- Choice of entity and entity formation
- Debt and equity financing
- Construction, design and development agreements
- Workouts and forbearance agreements
- Joint venture, partnership and LLC operating agreements
- Private placements
- Due diligence
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Permitting and land use/zoning disputes
- Conflict resolution
Our lodging experience includes both branded and unbranded hotels and spans all chain scales and most brands.
- Jiten Hotel Management, Inc. in connection with a group booking agreement with the Cities of Chelsea and Revere, which allowed the hotel to be occupied by COVID-19 patients being treated by doctors from Mass. General Hospital.
- Boylston Properties in connection with the development of three hotels and the acquisition of one hotel in Massachusetts, including franchise agreements, hotel management agreements, construction and design agreements, joint ventures, and debt and equity financings.
- CV Properties in connection with a Hotel Management Agreement with Marriott International, Inc. for an Aloft Hotel in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Dugas Development LLC / Maine Course Management, LLC, in connection with a joint venture for the development of the Portland Courtyard by Marriott and the acquisition and redevelopment of the Cliff House Hotel and Spa in Cape Neddick, Maine, including a joint venture with Rockbridge Capital and the negotiation of the hotel management agreement for the hotel.
- Finard Hotel Group in connection with their ground-up development of the Burlington Residence Inn by Marriott Hotel, their acquisition and financing of the Providence Biltmore Hotel and their acquisition and sale of the Provincetown Harbor Hotel.
- Jiten Hotel Management in connection with multiple hotel acquisitions, sales, developments, and joint ventures.
- Lixi Group in connection with their acquisition of five branded hotels and their development of the Revere SpringHill Suites by Marriott Hotel.
Our clients include:
- High net worth and institutional investors
- Boylston Properties
- CV Properties
- Distinctive Hospitality
- Dugas Development
- Finard Hotel Group
- Gulph Creek Hotels
- Jiten Hotel Management, Inc.
- Lixi Group
- Maine Course Hospitality Group
- Meadow Partners
- Stonebridge Companies
- Summit Hotel Properties