Real estate is a huge part of what we do at Sherin and Lodgen. That’s one of the reasons why leading developers, manufacturers and others seek our help with environmental issues including contaminated properties, compliance and enforcement, cost recovery actions, and sustainable development.
Our attorneys understand the ever-changing federal, state and local environmental regulations and assist clients in navigating these complex systems to help avoid unnecessary time and costs. We rely on our major-deal experience that allows us to identify efficiencies that can avoid or hold down the costs of redevelopment.
Our environmental practice is ranked by U.S. News and World Reports “Best Law Firms” in Massachusetts and Ronald W. Ruth is included in the “Best Lawyers in America” for Environmental Law. Joshua M. Alper and Ronald W. Ruth are listed as Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Jennifer L. Ioli is listed as a Rising Star.
We represent our environmental clients on a range of issues including:
Redevelopment of previously industrialized or contaminated properties, including brownfield sites, pose a unique set of challenges.
We help our clients mitigate environmental risks through approaches such as:
- Institutional land-use controls
- Brownfield grants from state and federal governments
- Environmental insurance
- Private party indemnity agreements
- State covenant not-to-sue programs
We advise clients on ever-changing and ever-changing environmental regulatory climate including:
- Compliance with discharge from industrial processes
- Operations subject to regulation for greenhouse gases, ozone-depleting substances, or petroleum and hazardous materials releases
- Defense of governmental enforcement actions
- Calculation, mitigation and public disclosure of carbon footprint
Cost Recovery Actions
Our clients seek our help to recover the costs of mandated environmental assessment and remediation. We prosecute and defend:
- Private party claims
- Insurance claims
- Recovery of funds under governmental programs
Three of our attorneys are LEED certified professionals. We advise on matters ranging from:
- Implementation of LEED by regulatory and land-use authorities
- Evaluation of carbon footprint impact on strategic decisions, disclosure decisions, capital expenditures, development opportunities
- Outside counsel to the affiliated supermarket operators (with over 700 locations) The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC, Giant of Maryland LLC, and Martin’s regarding brownfields, hazardous materials compliance, environmental compliance and environmental insurance claims
- Numerous purchasers, sellers, landlords, and tenants in negotiation of environmental indemnities, purchase and sale agreements, lease provisions and environmental insurance policies as part of acquisition or disposition of real estate
Working alongside our nationally recognized real estate practice, our environmental group represents:
- Owners and operators of industrial and commercial properties
- Commercial tenants
- PRPs – Potentially responsible persons