Construction & Design
Sherin and Lodgen’s attorneys work in the construction industry every day. As a result, we know both the law and the practical side of construction and development projects to assist clients in the construction and design industry.
This first-hand, cover-to-cover experience helps our clients overcome legal challenges in a practical and cost-effective way. We have earned a reputation for our extensive track record and pragmatic, results-oriented approach to large, complex and sophisticated regional and national projects. For example, our construction team regularly:
- Drafts and negotiates sophisticated project agreements involving the latest methods of design, finance or construction
- Provides dispute avoidance and project oversight assistance, and
- Handles complex multi-party construction litigation, claims and disputes
We are capable of advising our construction clients on a full range of legal issues:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Bankruptcy (its impact on construction projects)
- Bond Claims (State and Federal)
- Changed Condition Claims
- Claim Preparation and Analysis
- Contract Disputes
- Contract Drafting and Negotiation
- Delay and Disruption Claims
- Design/Build/Operate Projects
- Design/Build Projects
- Design/Engineering Related Claims
- Dispute Avoidance
- Dispute Resolution
- Environmental Law
- Green Construction/LEED Certification
- Litigation (State and Federal Courts)
- Mechanic’s Lien(s)
- Owner/Contractor Disputes
- Owner/Designer Disputes
- Professional liability
- Subcontractor/Supplier Disputes
Regardless of how or where we’re involved, our construction lawyers are known for being responsive and effective, satisfying their clients’ legal needs and advancing and protecting their interests.
- An owner/manager of a hotel portfolio, in connection with negotiation and drafting of architectural and construction contracts for PIP related work at six different hotels located in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Boston-based developer with respect to its acquisitions and the negotiation and drafting of architectural and construction contracts for multifamily projects with ground-floor retail in downtown Boston.
- Real estate developer in the creation of uniform owner/developer contracts including Acceptance of Proposals (AOPs) for design and construction, AIA forms, and access agreements. Specifically, we drafted and negotiated AOPs and AIAs for an office/data center project in Malden, Massachusetts.
- General contractors and subcontractors