Robert M. Carney
Robert M. Carney is chair of the firm's Real Estate Department.
Bob is also a partner in the firm’s Business Law Department. He is experienced in all aspects of real estate and general corporate law with a concentration in real estate and business acquisitions and sales, real estate development, real estate and commercial finance and restructuring, commercial leasing, landlord/tenant issues and business counseling. In the course of his work, Bob represents lenders, retailers, developers, owners, operators and managers of real estate, and several small- to mid-sized businesses.
Active in the legal community, Bob participates in many MCLE programs and developed programs and publications for newly admitted attorneys. In addition, he is frequently invited by the International Council of Shopping Centers, Real Estate Bar Association and Massachusetts Bar Association to speak on a variety of real estate topics.
- Negotiated purchase contract documents, conveyance documents, level one plan and development agreements, and repurchase agreements on behalf of buyer in connection with an office, warehouse and manufacturing facility in Devens. In connection with the transaction, negotiated and/or drafted all documents and performed buyer’s legal due diligence in including title, survey, subdivision (or Level One Plan), base closure documentation, UXO requirements and materials, environmental and reporting materials and requirements, construction and excavation requirements, etc.Tenants and landlords of retail, office and industrial centers, including the representation of food, supermarket and restaurant retailers, with leasing, lease issues, structured sale-leaseback transactions and landlord/tenant disputes
- National vertically integrated wholesale and retail food supermarket company with leasing and real estate matters, including sale-leaseback transactions, lease disposition and landlord/tenant issues throughout the U.S.
- Dozens of New England owners and managers of retail shopping centers in all aspects of retail leasing and shopping center law
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “Negotiating & Drafting Office & Retail Leases,” panel member, MCLE, April 2016
- “Fundamentals of Subleases, Assignments & SNDA’s”, chair, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, July 2015
- “From Offer to Closing: A Primer for New and Developing Residential and Commercial Real Estate Attorneys,” speaker, Boston Bar Association, February 2012
- “Fast Five: Setting Up a Seperate Real Estate Company,” Massachusetts Family Business, October 2011
- “Representing Builders, Design Professionals & Troubled Developers In Troubled Times,” speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education seminar, June 2009
- Surfing the Economic Tsunami: Practice Tips for the Leasing Professional,” moderator, Sherin and Lodgen LLP and Cushman & Wakefield Inc. joint seminar, May 2009
- “Tenant Bankruptcies, Defaults, Terminations and Evictions: A Property Manager’s Nightmare,” speaker, Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), May 2009
- “Golden opportunity for tech tenants to seek new value,” Mass High Tech, February 2009
- “Essential Differences Between Subleases and Leases,” Spring Conference, Real Estate Bar Association, Boston, May 2007
- “Strategic Issues in Commercial Leasing,” Real Estate Law Conference, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education and Real Estate Bar Association, March 2006
- “Non-Disturbance and Subordination Agreements and Estoppel Certificates: A Discussion of the Lender’s, Landlord’s and Tenant’s Perspectives,” International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference, International Council of Shopping Centers, October 2005
- “Bankruptcy Issues in Commercial Leasing,” Spring Conference, Real Estate Bar Association, 2004
- “Lease Drafting in Anticipation of Bankruptcy and Related Issues,”Bankruptcy for Real Estate Lawyers, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2003
- “Bankruptcy Topics for Leasing Lawyers and Other Leasing Professionals,”International Council of Shopping Centers Boston Retail Leasing Symposium, International Council of Shopping Centers, December 2003
- “From Construction to Opening: Construction Issues in Commercial Leasing,” International Council of Shopping Centers Boston Retail Leasing Symposium, International Council of Shopping Centers, December 2002
- “Negotiating and Drafting Commercial Leases,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education