Boston College, J.D.
Colgate University, B.A., with honors
Listed as Massachusetts Rising Star (2005-2012)
|Bar and Court Admissions
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Joshua M. Bowman
Joshua M. Bowman focuses his practice on matters involving commercial real estate, finance and corporate law, with a particular emphasis on the acquisition, disposition, development, management and financing of hospitality and mixed use projects. Joshua has substantial experience advising clients in connection with equity and debt financing arrangements, management and franchise agreements, restaurant and retail leasing, joint ventures, development and construction contracts, food and beverage operation agreements and portfolio acquisitions and sales.
Described by his clients as “a skilled and tenacious attorney with a collegial demeanor” who provides “a practical approach with deal-focused creativity”, Joshua has assisted clients with transactions involving branded and non-branded hospitality assets in over a dozen different states, including ground up development projects in Boston and more recently in New York City. In each of the past 6 years, Joshua has also been recognized as a “Rising Star” in the area of real estate law by the publishers of Law and Politics and Boston Magazine.
Joshua was profiled in the “In Person” section of the July 2011 edition of Banker and Tradesman, sits on the Hotel Industry Advisory Board for the New England Real Estate Journal and frequently speaks and writes articles on matters important to the hospitality industry.
- Represented a purchaser in the acquisition of 20 hotels in New England and 4 hotels in New York City
- Represented a purchaser of a 6 hotel portfolio
- Represented a developer in the ground-up development and construction of 6 hotels in New England and 4 hotels in New York City
- Represented various ground lessees / operators in connection with ground leased hospitality projects
- Represented one of the largest third party management companies in North America in connection with third party management agreements.
- Represented borrowers and lenders in connection with various hospitality related debt financing
- Represented borrowers in debt workouts totaling over $100mm of debt
- Represented various investors in joint venture arrangements, often with large institutional investors.
- Represented franchisees of Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, IHG, Choice and Best Western flagged hotels
- Represented the purchaser of a 460,000 s.f. office portfolio
- Represented various restaurateurs with leasing and licensing issues
- Represented hotel owner / operator in private placement and debt refinance
- Represented hotel franchisee in franchise negotiations with major franchisor
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "The EB-5 Program: What will the future bring for hotel owners?," New England Real Estate Journal, April 2013
- "MCLE Seminar on Delaware v. Massachusetts LLCs and Corporations," Instructor, September 2012
- "Liquidated damages clauses in hotel franchise agreements," New England Real Estate Journal, July 26, 2012
- "Dealing with the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, Part 2," New England Real Estate Journal, May 2012
- "Hotel Equity and Lender Perspective Conference", Moderator, May 2012
- "International travel and the hospitality industry - Change needs to start," New England Real Estate Journal, January 2012
- "Boston Hotel Investment Summit by Bisnow," Moderator, December 2011
- "Liquor license transfers in the context of hotel purchases and sales," New England Real Estate Journal, June 2011
- Habitat for Humanity
- New England Real Estate Journal
- Hotel Industry Advisory Board
- Pan Mass Challenge
- Volunteer Lawyer’s Project
- Hebrew Senior Life
- Nyaya Health
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Real Estate Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Real Estate Finance Association
- National Lawyers Guild