Joshua M. Bowman is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Department and Corporate Department and is the Chair of the firm’s Hospitality Practice Group.
Described by his clients as “a skilled and tenacious attorney with a collegial demeanor” who provides “a practical approach with deal-focused creativity,” Josh brings years of experience counseling local and national real estate owners and developers, institutional and non-institutional lenders, investors, tenants, contractors, and other businesses in connection with a wide variety of transactions and situations.
Josh has substantial experience dealing with complicated issues related to commercial real estate ownership, development, finance, joint venture arrangements, acquisitions and sales, leasing, land use, licensing, management and franchise agreements, construction agreements, and food and beverage agreements. As the Chair of the firm’s Hospitality Practice Group, Josh has a particular concentration in representing owners and operators of restaurants and hotels.
Josh is a member of the Hotel Industry Advisory Board for the New England Real Estate Journal, where he regularly writes articles of interest to the hospitality industry. Josh also works on governmental issues important to the retail real estate industry as an active member of the ICSC Government Relations Committee.
Josh has moderated panels for Bisnow, taught courses for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), and served as an advisor to the Boston College Law School Community Economic Development Clinic.
Each of the past three years, Josh has raised thousands of dollars for the life-saving work of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute as a rider in the Pan-Mass Challenge – a two day bicycle ride from Sturbridge to Provincetown, Massachusetts.
- Represented a purchaser in the acquisition of 20 hotels in New England and 4 hotels in New York City
- Represented a purchaser of a 6 hotel portfolio
- Represented a developer in the ground-up development and construction of 6 hotels in New England and 4 hotels in New York City
- Represented various ground lessees / operators in connection with ground leased hospitality projects
- Represented one of the largest third party management companies in North America in connection with third party management agreements.
- Represented borrowers and lenders in connection with various hospitality related debt financing
- Represented borrowers in debt workouts totaling over $100mm of debt
- Represented various investors in joint venture arrangements, often with large institutional investors.
- Represented franchisees of Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, IHG, Choice and Best Western flagged hotels
- Represented the purchaser of a 460,000 s.f. office portfolio
- Represented various restaurateurs with leasing and licensing issues
- Represented hotel owner / operator in private placement and debt refinance
- Represented hotel franchisee in franchise negotiations with major franchisor
- "Who should 'own' the hotel employees: No easy answers to that question,"New England Real Estate Journal, December 2014
- "Hiring third party management companies for your hotel: Proceed with caution,"New England Real Estate Journal, January 2014
- "Hotel Equity and Lender Perspective Conference", Moderator, May 2013”
- "The EB-5 Program: What will the future bring for hotel owners?," New England Real Estate Journal, April 2013
- “State of the Seaport District by Bisnow”, Moderator, March, 2013
- "MCLE Seminar on Delaware v. Massachusetts LLCs and Corporations," Instructor, September 2012
- "Liquidated damages clauses in hotel franchise agreements," New England Real Estate Journal, July 26, 2012
- "Dealing with the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, Part 2," New England Real Estate Journal, May 2012
- "Hotel Equity and Lender Perspective Conference", Moderator, May 2012
- "International travel and the hospitality industry - Change needs to start," New England Real Estate Journal, January 2012
- "Boston Hotel Investment Summit by Bisnow," Moderator, December 2011
- "Liquor license transfers in the context of hotel purchases and sales," New England Real Estate Journal, June 2011