Joshua M. Bowman
Josh Bowman is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Department and Chair of the firm’s Hospitality Practice Group.
Described by his clients as “a skilled and tenacious attorney with a collegial demeanor” who provides “a practical approach with deal-focused creativity”, Josh focuses on all aspects of commercial real estate ownership and finance, with a particular emphasis on the purchase, sale, development, management and financing of hotels and restaurants.
Josh has substantial experience advising clients in connection with equity and debt financing arrangements, management and franchise agreements, restaurant and retail leasing, joint ventures, development and construction contracts, food and beverage operation agreements and portfolio acquisitions and sales.
Josh has assisted clients with transactions involving branded and non-branded hospitality assets across North America, including ground-up development projects in Boston and New York City. Josh writes and speaks frequently on hospitality, real estate, finance and corporate topics and serves on the Hotel Industry Advisory Board for the New England Real Estate Journal.
Josh moderated Bisnow’s “State of the Seaport District” and “Boston Hospitality Investment Summit”, as well as various sessions for the Hotel Equity and Lender Perspective (HELP) Conference. Josh has served as an instructor for the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), an advisor to the Community Economic Development Clinic at Boston College Law School and as a volunteer for the Volunteer Lawyer’s Project.
- Represented a purchaser in the acquisition of 20 hotels in New England and 4 hotels in New York City
- Represented a purchaser of a 6 hotel portfolio
- Represented a developer in the ground-up development and construction of 6 hotels in New England and 4 hotels in New York City
- Represented various ground lessees / operators in connection with ground leased hospitality projects
- Represented one of the largest third party management companies in North America in connection with third party management agreements.
- Represented borrowers and lenders in connection with various hospitality related debt financing
- Represented borrowers in debt workouts totaling over $100mm of debt
- Represented various investors in joint venture arrangements, often with large institutional investors.
- Represented franchisees of Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, IHG, Choice and Best Western flagged hotels
- Represented the purchaser of a 460,000 s.f. office portfolio
- Represented various restaurateurs with leasing and licensing issues
- Represented hotel owner / operator in private placement and debt refinance
- Represented hotel franchisee in franchise negotiations with major franchisor
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Hiring third party management companies for your hotel: Proceed with caution," New England Real Estate Journal, January 2014
- "Hotel Equity and Lender Perspective Conference", Moderator, May 2013”
- "The EB-5 Program: What will the future bring for hotel owners?," New England Real Estate Journal, April 2013
- “State of the Seaport District by Bisnow”, Moderator, March, 2013
- "MCLE Seminar on Delaware v. Massachusetts LLCs and Corporations," Instructor, September 2012
- "Liquidated damages clauses in hotel franchise agreements," New England Real Estate Journal, July 26, 2012
- "Dealing with the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, Part 2," New England Real Estate Journal, May 2012
- "Hotel Equity and Lender Perspective Conference", Moderator, May 2012
- "International travel and the hospitality industry - Change needs to start," New England Real Estate Journal, January 2012
- "Boston Hotel Investment Summit by Bisnow," Moderator, December 2011
- "Liquor license transfers in the context of hotel purchases and sales," New England Real Estate Journal, June 2011
- Habitat for Humanity
- New England Real Estate Journal
- Hotel Industry Advisory Board
- Pan Mass Challenge
- Volunteer Lawyer’s Project
- Hebrew Senior Life
- Nyaya Health
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Real Estate Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Real Estate Finance Association
- National Lawyers Guild