Ian T. Lane
Ian T. Lane is a trusted legal adviser, helping real estate and lending clients accomplish their business goals.
As a partner in the firm’s Real Estate Department, Ian concentrates his practice on complex financing transactions, including CMBS loans, representing lenders, borrowers, and investors. Clients appreciate his business acumen and understanding of each party’s unique position in complicated financings, having successfully closed loan transactions totaling billions of dollars throughout the United States.
Ian is also experienced in structuring and reviewing large mortgage loans for securitization in the capital markets and in restructuring distressed loans. In addition to his finance experience, Ian represents clients in acquisitions, dispositions, and leasing.
Prior to joining Sherin and Lodgen, Ian was counsel in the Boston office of Seyfarth Shaw and was resident in the Beijing office of a large international law firm. His international practice included the representation of investors in the restructuring and acquisition of non-performing loans and other distressed assets in China.
Ian is a member of the Boston Bar Association, the Real Estate Finance Association (REFA), and was a voting representative of the Commercial Real Estate Finance Council (CREFC), the trade association for the $4.4 trillion commercial real estate finance industry. He is also an alum of the Boston Future Leaders program, a yearlong professional development program run by the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce in partnership with the Harvard Business School, which activates emerging leaders to confidently lead Boston into the future. While in law school, Ian served as articles editor for the Buffalo Law Review and taught an accounting class in the university’s School of Management.
- Life insurance company in complicated leasehold financing involving four industrial properties and negotiation of an intercreditor agreement to subordinate an existing second mortgage in favor of a European entity
- Life insurance company in multi-state portfolio loans and mortgage financing transactions, secured by industrial properties throughout the United States
- Real estate investment firm in the acquisition and debt and equity financing of a former mill building in NH
- Breed’s Hill Capital in an equity investment to purchase a prominent property in the Greater Boston Area, commonly known as The Campus at Marlborough, a 531,916-square-foot office campus in Marlborough, MA
- Numerous borrowers on construction and term real estate loans
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “Commercial Real Estate Practice in Massachusetts, 1st Edition,” co-author, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), 2020
- “Real Estate Loan Drafting Guidance: Massachusetts,” co-author, Thomson Reuters Practical Law Real Estate, 2020
- “A Misunderstood Source of Multifamily Lending,” Banker & Tradesman, November 2018