John B. Shinn
John B. Shinn is a versatile and experienced attorney who brings a contemporary approach to corporate and transactional matters.
As a member of the firm’s Business Law Department, John focuses his corporate practice in the areas of entity formation, mergers and acquisitions, succession planning, capitalization, intellectual property and governmental licensing (ABCC and TTB liquor licenses).
John’s experience and innate ability to “think outside the box” provide a significant benefit when drafting and reviewing asset and stock purchases, buy-sell agreements, non-disclosures, master service agreements, and other general business contracts. He prides himself on being a deal-maker, not a deal-breaker.
John’s clients span across a wide range of industries including sports & entertainment, SaaS, hospitality, fitness and fashion. His representative matters have involved acquisitions/dispositions and business negotiations for: professional sports teams (soccer) and organizations (MMA); eSports teams; mobile software apps; restaurants (franchises and original concepts); breweries and distilleries; fitness centers; firearms; apparel lines; celebrities and media personalities; and film, television, and streaming projects (scripted and non-scripted) for talent and production companies.
In addition, John is a Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) Certified Player Agent, representing professional baseball players in all facets of their careers with draft advising, contract negotiations, salary arbitration, endorsements, free agency, and post-career transition services. He has represented (and continues to represent) a significant number of MLB players and advised over 50 draft selections.
- Served as general counsel to international restaurant organization in all aspects of business operations.
- Represented client in $15M equity rollover sale of multi-unit franchise owner to private equity group.
- Represented client in $10M asset sale of commodities manufacturer to Fortune 500.
- Represented tech company in $9M sale of mobile software app.
- Represented client in $7M capital raise for SaaS fitness start-up (and provided corporate and IP services).
- Represented client in $6M purchase of restaurant franchises.
- Negotiated a fully guaranteed, multi-year contract for an MLB client who was injured and eligible for salary arbitration for the first time in his career.
- As lead counsel, obtained a successful M.G.L. c. 30A judicial review vacating and remanding an adverse administrative agency decision (Tufts Medical Center, Inc. v. Daniel Tsai, in his capacity as Director, Office of Medicaid, Suffolk Superior Court, C.A. No. 1784CV01706D).
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2019, 2020)
- Boston Bar Association
- USA 500 Clubs
- Sports & Entertainment Law Institute at the University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Board of Advisors