John C. La Liberte is chair of the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights Group. John is also co-chair of the Business Litigation, Construction Law and Real Estate Litigation Practice Groups. John serves as the firm’s General Counsel. He concentrates his practice in business litigation, bankruptcy related litigation, complex commercial disputes, including intellectual property and trade secret related litigation, product liability litigation, and commercial landlord/tenant disputes.
John’s expertise includes real estate litigation, employment discrimination/wrongful termination matters, insurance coverage disputes, product liability matters, and premises liability cases in both federal and state courts. He has also handled consumer class action matters in both federal and state courts. In addition, he has successfully arbitrated and mediated numerous cases.
- Broad spectrum of clients in bankruptcy related matters, including corporate reorganizations, automatic stay relief proceedings, preference and dischargeability proceedings, commercial leasehold renegotiations, and assumption or rejection proceedings
- Banks, brokerage firms, insurance companies, credit unions, state transportation authorities, professional and business partnerships, computer software companies and automobile and medical device manufacturers in a wide variety of areas
Speaking Engagements And Publications
- “Watch Your Step: Protecting Your Company in Relationships with Partners in Bankruptcy,” Corporate Counsel, February 2012
- “Tenant Bankruptcies, Defaults, Terminations and Evictions: A Property Manager’s Nightmare,” speaker, Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), May 2009
- “Current Issues in Bankruptcy and Leasing,” roundtable speaker and leader, International Council of Shopping Centers, October 2005
- “Benefit and Begging: Statute Prohibiting Peaceful Pleas for Charity in Public Places Violates First Amendment – Benefit v. City of Cambridge,” Boston Bar Journal, Vol. 42, No. 1, January/February 1998
- Town of Carlisle Planning Board