Jonathan F.X. O’Brien
Jonathan F.X. O’Brien concentrates his practice on corporate law and commercial real estate, representing clients in corporate formation, contract negotiation, joint ventures, licensing, resolution of shareholder and director disputes, mergers and acquisitions, and the purchase and sale of assets.
Jonathan is licensed to practice in Massachusetts, Paris, and New York and leverages his prior experience in the U.S. and abroad on behalf of his clients.
Committed to the sustainable and elevated development of the New England coast and its resources, Jonathan is focused on his “blue economy” practice, engaged with clients in aquaculture projects and ocean-based technologies and opportunities, which include aspects such as vessel finance, equipment leasing and purchasing, and sustainable seafood and fisheries.
- Closed $15 million financing of a 450-ton fishing vessel including equipment purchases and outfitting vessel for use in aquaculture industry. Advice regarding transfer and ownership of vessel and equipment under the Fisheries Act and ongoing compliance with Federal Regulations.
- Closed £17 million financing and lease-back of equipment and assets used in connection with a large salmon farm in Northern Scotland. Advice regarding documentation provided by UK bank sponsoring transaction and securing assets on behalf of US-based financing entity.
- Closed $35 million financing of a regional waste disposal and recycling business including two-term loans and one revolving loan with a consortium of lenders. Debt secured by all assets of borrower, mortgages on all real estate holdings, pledges of equity interests, and vehicle fleet.
- Conversion of debt into a majority equity position in a closely held private college test-preparation business, including stockholder agreements, management vesting incentive package, additional debt issued for working capital purposes. Corporate restructuring including licensing and assigning IP internally to streamline structure.
- Closed a contested bankruptcy sale of a contaminated parcel of land on Dorchester Avenue, Boston. Final sale price of $14 million.
- Assisted investor group in Arizona protect investment vehicle from cancellation of debt income through assignment of prior debt as security for new loan for half the original principal balance.
- Assisted French wine producer establish a US corporate structure and acquire an interest in a US distributor. Ongoing counsel to French winery owners on US activities.
- Assisted French jewelry maker establish a business on Madison Avenue in New York. Counsel on US corporate structure, assisted in hiring employees & lease negotiations for a shopping boutique on Madison Ave. including renovations for the boutique.
- Assisted French manufacturer establish a US subsidiary and enter into supply contracts with distributors and sales representatives around the US. Ongoing representation and advice on regulatory compliance.
- Assisted sports marketing company develop new mud/obstacle racing concept including initial investments by members, subsequent seed capital rounds, bridge loans and second round funding. Negotiations with cable television network to co-brand events with television show themes.
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “LLC Liability Loopholes & Piercing the Corporate Veil,” speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, October 19, 2021
- Boston Bar Association
- International Law Foreign Lawyers Committee, Chair
- Represents New England farmers on a pro bono basis in corporate and real estate matters via Legal Food Hub, a legal services clearinghouse for farmers, food entrepreneurs, and related organizations.
- Town of Sudbury Zoning Board of Appeals
- Former Member (2010-2018)
- Former Chair (2016-2018)
- Pan-Mass Challenge rider since 2013